Monday 9 December 2013

Pop-Art Style Images of Anthony.

To create this image I started by putting the image into threshold this put the image into black and white. After this I created a new layer then using the polygonal lasso tool I selected the area that I wanted to be green (I chose green because Anthony's favourite colour is green.) I then clicked on edit and fill then selected a bright green, the bright colours relate to the work of Andy Warhol. I then made sure that the layer setting was on multiply that way the detail within the face can be seen. I then created a new layer and using the same tool as before I selected the areas I wanted to be red, (I chose red because they contrast against each other as they are opposites on the colour wheel.) I used the same process to get the image that I was happy with. The last thing I needed to do was flatten the image. 

With this image I used the same method as the last one but using different colours. This time I used blues and reds because they complement each other nicely. 
Again i used the same process with this image but i used more layers to develop a different effect and mood with the colours. by using more layer and more colours to produce the image i think it has given this technique an added edge  that really shows my development within using Photoshop.
After i finished the original image I thought that the image was top heavy so to balance the image out i added a simple image of Anthony's favourite band logo. this has worked well and complements the image well.
This image was the first image I created in this style, I have noticed how some of the finer details within this image have been left white, I didn't notice this originally, which is why on my other images I have taken extra care to make sure I haven't left any areas unfinished. I used the colour green because its a bright colour and it is also Anthony's favourite colour and it contrasts well with black yet still creates an asthetically pleasing image.  

By using colours that are next to each other within the colour wheel i have managed to create a bold and bright image that isn't too harsh on the eye like bright yellow with bright blue would be. if i had used bright blue and yellow the image would be too bright and not pleasant to the viewer. also if i was to develop this image into a magazine cover using colours that clash harshly would have a negative impact on the sale of the magazine cover. therefore my keeping the colours to a level of blah i would avoid this without making the image too dull.
With this image I used the same method to create the simple pop art image. However, I noticed that the original background was a little boring, so I created another layer for the background. To create the background I drew out a drawing of Anthony's favourite band's logo and created a repeated pattern. To create a repeating pattern I set up a new document and set up horizontal and vertical guides. I then dragged my drawn image into the centre of the document with the guides on to make sure that the image was right in the centre of the image I used control + T this brought up the lines and centre point of the image if the image wasn't in the centre i used this to move the image into the centre. Once the image was in the correct position I then used a marquee tool to select and copy and paste each section of the image onto a new layer. I positioned each section of the image into the opposite corner. When all the sections have been positioned correctly I then clicked on edit then define pattern. This made the section one image allowing me to go back onto the pop art image and fill in the layer with the pattern. When I first selected the pattern the colours were opposite so I altered the layer from normal to divide, this changed the background to the desired effect. I then moved the layer down to make it the background layer. Overall I am rather happy with the outcome of this image. I think the colour I used for his face isn’t too bright and over powering, but it still remains eye catching and aesthetically pleasing while capturing more about Anthony than just his looks.  .


When looking through the images I have of Anthony, I wasn’t quite sure if this image would go well as a pop-art style image. when I converted it into threshold and saw that it was so detailed I decided to experiment with it and see if I added some colour to it if it would look more in the style of Andy Warhol. Despite this not turning out to be instantly recognised as Andy Warhol style image I have managed to achieve a result that is detailed but has a subtle link to the pop art craze which began during the 1940-50s.














i have used the same image for both of these pieces because i wanted to experement with different colours and the effect different colours have on the overall mood and atmosphere of the pieces.


By using pastel colours instead of more traditional pop art colours I have managed to make the eye draw towards the finer detail within the image. In contrast with the brighter coloured image where your eye is over powered with the harsh, bold and sharp contrast that the eyes lose focus on the finer detailing. It is for this reason I like the pastel colours more because the detail is still there yet still in keeping within the pop art mindset. 













No comments:

Post a Comment