Tuesday 17 December 2013

Magazine Covers.

From all the various photo edits i've created i have chosen some of them to be developed into possible magazine covers. here are the ones i have done.




I decided to develop my Celtic cross edited image even more by creating various magazine covers. This was fairly simple thing to do. I just opened the image into Photoshop duplicated the background image and removed the background of the edited image by using the polygonal lasso tool. I also decided to remove a small section of his hair to make his hair flow better within the image. This also gave the image a more professional appearance. The next thing I did was open another image I had of Anthony, where he shone his lazar pen into the camera. I decided to change the hue and saturation of the image to make the light from the lazar pen more vibrant. When I was happy with the result I then transferred the image into what would become the magazine cover. I then re-arranged the layer order so that the image of Anthony with the lazar pen became the background. This image needed re-sizing I did this by using the ctrl+T to bring up the guides so that I could alter the size of the image.  Having looked at the composition of the image as it was at that point I knew it needed another element to make the magazine cover stand out. I decided to add the Celtic cross into the background to tie it in with Anthony’s face. I did this by opening the image and transferring it into the magazine cover document. I then needed to change the layer type to multiply to make the background of the Celtic cross disappear. All I needed to do then was resize the Celtic cross image I did this in the same way as I did the background image. Once I was happy with the layout of the main magazine cover all I needed to do was add the finishing features such as the bar-code and masthead. This was done by adding a random barcode image from Google. (Just for demonstrational purposes) the header needed a bit more thought and time to create. To create the mast head I simply added a new text layer and typed his name into the box and changed the font as you would in any other program. The only difference is I downloaded more fonts from a website. The reason for finding other fonts is they make the magazine cover more professional looking and aesthetically pleasing. I then changed the colour of the text to yellow because it is a colour that complements the red of the lazar pen light and it stands out and makes the magazine cover visible from a distance. Once I was happy with the overall design of the magazine cover I then saved it and created alternative covers.


With this magazine cover I decided to use the same initial image of Anthony’s face and change the background and text. For the background of this image I used a photograph that I took while at a gig the other year. I just altered the hue and saturation before positioning the image as the background. I like the image because it has the lighting on it which helps to make the magazine cover look more professional. I chose to use red text on this image because it complements the colours within the image of Anthony and it also balances out the yellow within the background image. The only thing I didn’t add to this image is the barcode because I didn’t notice it that is the only alteration I would make to this image. I chose a different font for this masthead to give the magazine a different feel and to appeal to a slightly different audience. However I think that the previous font works better than this font.  
With this magazine cover all I did was changed the background cover to a different image from a gig I went to. I chose this image because it contained colours that I haven’t worked with in my magazine covers as of yet. I think that the blue colour within the image help to make the brown of Anthony’s eyes stand out as well as bringing out the brightness of his lips. I decided to stick with the original font and colour for the masthead. I also chose to change alter the opacity of the masthead to bring back some of the detail within the Celtic cross which I added back into the design as the background image was relatively simple. I think that this worked out really well and there isn’t anything I would change to make the image any better.
This image is fairly similar to my original magazine cover in terms of colours and positioning of the images. The only thing I have changed is the background image to an image I took from when I saw a band live. I decided to keep the colours the same as the original magazine cover because of how pleased I was with the way that they worked with this image of Anthony
These are my other magazine covers that I edited in a similar way to this but the only difference is I used a different image and edited the original image in a totally different way by using multiple layers and later types to create the image I also changed the hue and saturation and colour balance to get his hair so bright green. 

To create this magazine cover I simply took the original image and duplicated it onto a new layer and removed the background. I then used the gradient tool to create a new background on a fresh layer. I then went back onto the face and changed the colour levels to add more shadows into his face. I then used the colour replacement tool using pale skin toned colours I went over the image to create the image seen. To create it into a magazine cover I just added a simple but effective masthead I added texture to the mast head by double clicking on the text layer and altering the effects that came up. I finally added the barcode to the image and the magazine cover was completed. I think this is one of my better magazine covers as t isn’t over complicated and it captures Anthony’s mood nicely within the photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment