Sunday 26 January 2014

ART HISTORY TASK 4


TASK 4
Final Evaluation.


Having completed research on my chosen decade, I think that the overall outcome has been successful. I have discovered things that I didn’t know and I found this interesting. Given that my chosen decade was the decade in which I was born, I found myself being reminded by childhood experiences which helped me to see how the things I liked as a child has developed into my chosen media in which to work within. I particularly enjoyed looking into pixel art. As a child I can remember using paint on the windows 98 OS and creating my own patterns and pixel style backgrounds. When I was in primary school I remember once a year all the computers in the school would be brought together for us to have a go at this was before the vast majority of the population had a home pc. At the time I didn’t realise how lucky I was to have a pc at home with working internet. Growing up I remember being surrounded with computers whether that be playing on my dad’s games such as unreal and tomb raider or helping my dad deconstruct and fix computers. Looking back at my childhood it has become clear to me just how much I have been subconsciously affected and influenced by the technological advancement that the 90s had to offer. When it came to designing my final poster, I wasn’t sure which avenue to go down so I decided to explore a couple of options. I narrowed my ideas down to two concepts, to show the iconic and dramatic demise and death of Lady Diana Spencer or to summarise the technological advancement that the decade had to offer. In the end I chose to develop both ideas and see which turned out with the best outcome. My idea when developing the technological impact of the 90s was to take the major companies and their logos and develop them into a poster. Having completing this I have decided the quality of the finished piece wasn’t satisfactory therefore I decided to go with my other idea. This was created by gathering images of the internet and editing them within Photoshop. I used a combination of cropping the images and adjusting the saturation and levels of the images to make them stand out before duplicating each image until I had 10 of each image lined up in rows. I then set about adjusting the opacity of the images I adjusted this in increments of 10. This made sure that the gradient of the overall image was consistent. Once I was content with the overall image i then started to think about adding some text to the image. This was trickier than I thought it would have been, not only was choosing the right words to complement the image a challenge , I then had to sift through various font ideas until I found a font that fitted perfectly within the concept of the image without bringing too much attention to the text. By the time I completed the text and additional dates to the image I counted the layers needed to create the image; this image has been one of my largest images in terms of layers with a total of fifty two layers to create the image. When the image was complete I flattened the image before saving and uploading the final design onto my blog. Overall I am happy with the final poster design as it shows the most remembered moment within the whole of the 90s. If I was to re revisit this project I would spend more time to develop other areas within the decade such as some of the other art movements that existed outside the technological bubble in which I chose to explore. The main thing I have learned from this project is just how much my childhood experiences have influenced the very nature of the work I am currently doing and I didn’t even realise this until I analysed the decade in detail. This project has given me more ideas of how I can use new media to develop my own work.






No comments:

Post a Comment